Sunday, October 30, 2016

Pretty eventful week

The knee on the left was replaced 6 years ago and the one on the right was replaced 5 years ago. Different surgeons, different outcomes, different scars. The left knee never was quite right. I found out 3 years ago that the appliance itself was broken. So...

Tuesday, I had my left knee replacement revision surgery. Everything went well; he replaced only the tibial portion and that will be much better in terms of recovery. Dr. Carter said it came right off in his hand. I'm thinking that means I picked a good time to go on and get it done.

Since then, I've been pleasantly surprised at the recovery thus far. I've had a bandage on that has a date on it, sort of like do not open before Christmas.

Everything looks good. The drainage was there the first time I looked at it in the hospital, so it's not a big problem. Look at the bend in that thing!

It's not for everyone, but here's how it looked today when the nurse took the bandage off. I almost cried when I saw it. It's fairly straight and it sure looks like they pushed together a lot of the old scar to make it less gnarly. There are still markings from the surgery and a clear bandage on that won't come off until my first visit with Dr. Carter on November 9. I couldn't be happier with the first peek.

I'm already weaning off the pain meds and haven't had stabbing pain like with the other two; it's been more of an ache. I'm using the continuous passive motion machine a couple hours a day and have it up to 84° at first measurement by the PT the other day.

There's a lot more work to do, but I think I'm up to the task. I will see the PT tomorrow and we'll probably do some more exercises. I suspect I'll be going to outpatient PT in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment