Sunday, March 13, 2016

Plans for the future - Part 1

Last year was filled with challenges. They're all easing up and I'm sure there are more challenges to come, but there are decisions to be made about how they will be handled.

Five years ago, I had my left knee replaced. Recovery was rather stressful and rehab was difficult and painful. I had two choices - do the work and work through the pain, getting better along the way OR sit around and complain about the pain and avoid all painful situations, lowering my chances for getting better and actually getting worse instead. I met people who chose the second scenario, and they may never heal. I met people who met the challenge of recovery head-on, and they're out there living their lives.

A year after that, I had my right knee replaced. Though the pain and rehab were not nearly as overwhelming, I had the same choices - take control of the outcome or whine about the process.

In both cases, I wanted the surgery and did what I could to heal appropriately with as little aggravation as possible. A positive attitude, good medical care (the second time), and family support both times, they were all the keys needed to make it happen.

I'm now 60 years old. Well passed the middle age mark. Time to face the challenges of the present and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment