Monday, August 3, 2015

Spelunking is gross

I went in for the cystoscopy and was able to watch the whole thing, seeing what the doctor saw. I believe what he said was Holy Bladder Batman!

From here, I will paste an email that I wrote to my sister since I don't feel like doing it all again:

I have sloughing stuff and new stuff that indicate a pretty nasty allergy to the chemo they put in after surgery (and also drained). What were once pretty pink bladder walls are now one half normal and one half gross. 

He consulted with the other two partners as he had never seen this before. One on the partners had seen it once. I'm the lucky 1 in 100,000 to be allergic to the stuff. 

Surgery would probably make it worse, but it may be an option. We talked about my trip, and he wants to talk to me in a week to make that determination. With the insurance and verification from the practice, I would get flight fee back 

For now, high dose ibuprofen and Benadryl. No acidic stuff. Lots of water. 

I saw the scope as he was doing it and am relieved that I haven't just been being a big baby. On a bright note, the surgical site is beautiful. It's the top of the bladder that looks like someone has been excavating - half gray/white and half bright red. 

That's the news.

12:30 p.m.
Just sent this email:

Donna Gettings Apperson dgapperson@gmail.com

12:28 PM (0 minutes ago)
to scott.burgess
Hi Dr. Burgess,

I wanted to bring to your attention something that happened in the recovery room on June 18 after my TURBT. I was pretty much fully awake and having a chat with the nurse, a youngish gal with long hair, and she reached down and panicked a bit because she had put her hand "in a used kit." I'm not sure what that meant, but took it to mean the kit she was using had been compromised somehow (it was to the left, near my leg, on the floor), and she was splashed with mitomycin C. She then left to go to employee health to be evaluated.

Was there possibly something awry with the whole process in the recovery room relating to the medication? 

I look forward to talking to you Monday and hope that there will be nothing but good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment