Friday, August 28, 2015

A better day?

It's TMI time.

When I got home after surgery yesterday, every pee felt like daggers. Before surgery, it was a searing, burning pain. Both at a >10 level. I took my Percocet last night and dealt with it. I did get up every hour overnight, but I was totally able to get right back to sleep. But, and this is a huge but, every pee was a tad less painful than the one before and this morning, I'd say it's a level 5ish. That's expected improvement and what should have happened with the initial TURBT in June.

Richard tells me the doctor said the underlying tissue looked good and he got all the inflammation. I did ask before surgery if there was a chance I was going to have to have a partial cystectomy (partial removal of the bladder) and he said it might be an option, but not today (yesterday). From what I understand, that's off the table, but I'll know more after my follow up appointment in two weeks.

I have hope for the first time in months. I'm not 100% cured and have some healing to do over time, but I do not feel like I'm dying anymore.

Allison accompanied me to the hospital. I was called back to the pre-op room at 2:10ish. She stayed through all the fun pre-op questions and IV placement. What a champ. Before we left to go to the hospital, I was a tearful person. I think I was more scared than I was willing to admit. She was great about having conversation and keeping me preoccupied. Richard arrived about 2:50, and Allison left shortly thereafter to dog sit and do more homework. I think it was good for both of us to have that time together. My urination frequency was extended while in pre-op, mostly because I had no food/drink all day.

The anesthesiologist came in and was very attentive. We talked about diabetes quite a bit. He seemed very interested in the topic. I admitted that the last two months, I've been a "bad" diabetic, but I've been one big stress ball. (The two days I took Valium, that was much improved, by the way.) He explained what he was going to do and left. I saw him again in the OR, where he was again amazingly attentive. I got oxygen via mask and that was all I remembered. I think there might have been a little something in that oxygen.

The operating room nurse stopped by and explained she'd be transporting me. Then Dr. Burgess came by and we had a talk. I asked him about Dr. Schultz' patient and how she fared. He said she recovered fully. We talked potential pain and he suggested that the pyridum should help more this time if I have spasms because I'm not having an allergic reaction this time. You know what? I think the recovery room nurse is the one who told me that last part. Once he arrived, things started happening quickly and off I went.

The folks in the OR were chatty and we talked about the old hospital, where we had worked together apart in the late 80s. We had never met because she was in the OR and I only worked in the OR one time due to their secretary having had an emergency. As an aside, the nurse that was supposed to take care of me after surgery was Javeen Hudson; she and I had definitely worked together. We had chatted a bit, but they decided to discharge me from the recovery room, so I didn't see her later after all. It was nice to see her. As mentioned, the oxygen is the last thing I remember in the OR.

I was in the recovery room around 5. I'm not 100% sure of the time because who knows how long you're waking up when you've been out. Dr. Burgess was there doing dictation and gave me a thumb's up. I don't remember if we chatted. I think we did, but I can't be sure. I had a lot of pain in the perineal area, but that was expected. I did the bedpan once and then after I was more aware, I was able to be walked to the bathroom. Ow! I do not remember my nurse, but the other two nurses in the recovery area remembered me from June. My blood pressure and oxygen and everything snapped right back, and a very short while later, Richard came in. I was walked to the bathroom again and got dressed, and there was a wheelchair waiting for me when I came out. I'm pretty sure we were home by 6ish, which was shocking to me.

Allison was still there and stayed for a while. I drugged up. They had given me a Percocet in the recovery room, but as I was peeing daggers, I wanted relief, so took two more before the night was over. I notified people who needed to know things went well and went to bed at a decent hour. I was going to sleep downstairs, but went on up to my bed with the clean sheets. Other than getting up hourly, I slept really well. There was enough stuff roaming around in my system that going back to sleep was not even close to a problem.

The evening was quiet. Allison left to have dinner with Tom. The dog was glued to my side. Richard was happy that I was happy and feeling more hopeful.

I am cautiously optimistic, but I might be fixed. Amazing.

(More later as my head continues to clear and the day wears on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment