Sunday, March 29, 2015

Call it what it is - Whole30, Day 2

Amazingly, my fasting blood sugar was 120 points lower today than yesterday. I had walnuts and apple slices for my snack last night and I know that my eating yesterday was on target. I'm dazzled and convinced enough to make it a go at 30 days.

Last night, I made a sweet potato/potato blend mash with coconut milk, salt, and pepper. I had about a half-cup of that left. This morning, I mixed it with 2 eggs, chives, and a little more pepper. After the bacon was done, I poured 3 patties into the pan and let them set on each side. In all my years of using leftover potatoes with eggs, this meal was the best. I think the sweet potato made a difference in taste and certainly, the chives the bar high for the taste. Ronnie had given me some bacon from Copper Penny Farms. I cooked that this morning and had a couple slices with my patties. Once again, I feel like I ate restaurant food. And so, day 2 begins. 


Lunch, lunch, who has a great lunch. Well, I do. Egg salad with shredded lettuce and artisan tomatoes, with a side of strawberries that actually tasted like strawberries. You never know when you buy them, but these were great. I got fancy tomatoes just for fun and honestly, they're no better than the regular Campari that I buy. Shredded lettuce is a great substitute for sandwich bread. I'm working a lot today, so that means sedentary for the most part. It'll be interesting to see how blood sugars look tomorrow with getting out and about, and with exercise class. 

Recipe for plantain "bread"

2 plantains (ripe)
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350°. Peel and cut up the plantains. Add those and the eggs to a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet type device that will blend the plantain and eggs until they are incorporate into a nice liquidy batter. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the batter onto the paper and spread it out. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. 
This is what the whole plantain/egg bake looks like done. Just a little brown around the edges. 
You can cut it up into smaller pieces and freeze them, warming them up later with a toaster oven or method of your choice.

This is not super flavorful, but it is very good. Some people add coconut oil or spices, but I like it straight up with the two ingredients. Keeps it simple. If you think of it as bread, it's not really Whole30 compliant. So keep that in mind when you're making anything that fits with Whole30 ingredients and not the concept of changing your relationship with food. 

Fun dinner. The fish was pretty simple. Rainbow trout seasoned and then baked in the toaster oven. The veggie mix is a spiraled half sweet potato cut up into smaller pieces, green onions, and left over asparagus. Believe it or not, it tasted pretty derned good. 

Another interesting experiment. I put a few strawberries and a tablespoon or less of coconut cream into the Magic Bullet to make the goop and then poured it on top of a few pieces of the plantain stuff I made earlier. I put that in the toaster oven on a low heat while we had dinner. It was okay, but not sure I'd make it again. The berries are better by themselves. 

Day 2 is almost in the bag. I will probably have a few walnuts or maybe I won't. It's an option if I'm interested. 

Day 3 will include a visit to Dr. H. 

No comments:

Post a Comment