Saturday, October 11, 2014

Welcome to my world - Daughter time and a day off

I promised some Zen aging stuff, and here it is:


I told my sister today that Zen boils down to one word - be.  So it would make sense that now would be my favorite time. And it is. It's what I have and it's where I am.

And here where I was today:


My daughter and I had an early day date for girl time. We went out to breakfast at Mimi's Cafe (no paleo today!) and had more conversation than I ever had with my own mother. She mentioned that she had found a gray hair (she's 30) and I pointed to my silvery hair and reminded her of what was to come. I recently learned that as my body matures, it doesn't seem to like swimming laps for long periods of time, and so I will not be doing that any longer. We talked about that and she was genuinely sad for me. It was a touching moment. I realized that she understood how important swimming was to me. What I failed to tell her is that I'll continue to swim a little, just not for a half mile at a time. We discussed her school experiences as she continues through grad school. We took our time and we dallied after we ate, just talking. I learned that my daughter is as good a listener as a person can be. I'm very proud of her.

We headed for Whole Foods, mostly to shop for her. I picked up some pancetta and fruit, and she grabbed most of what is in the cart. She said, "Mom, look at the pumpkin." So I did. I knew she was getting ready to take a picture. I made her show it to me before she put it on Facebook! Since I have lost weight, I'm not so shy in front of a camera any longer. 

So enjoy the number of your age. Enjoy the year, the month, the day, the hour, the minute, and the now. 

Go and spend some time with a family member or a friend and just talk. 

And then go to Whole Foods and buy stuff! 

No comments:

Post a Comment