Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Derned upper arms!

Upper arms are a pisser as you a) age and/or b) lose weight.

Losing weight leaves that lovely flab o'skin that 'waves bye bye' when you wave bye bye.


You know, this thing! If you don't have that, good for you. I know that in every exercise class I go to, we do some kind of move to firm that bitch up. Does it work? I don't know, but that leads us to part b of our arms are a pisser equation.

The front of that darned arm.

That one. The muscly piece. The Popeye muscle. That there is another bitch. As you age, things tend to hurt a little as you exercise them. Cough, cough. I say a little to reinforce my personal belief that it's not a big deal. In my case, I over-exercised that bad boy, the bicep, and it took a couple weeks or so for it to not hurt at night. General movement during the day kept it under control, but as soon as I would hit the bed, boom. That thing hurt like nobody's business. I was beginning to wonder if I was having a stroke! A couple of days ago, I noticed it didn't hurt so much anymore. Weeks! How did bouncing back turn to taking that long? Where did resilience go? And what can I do to get it back.

One of my exercise mates said she had to give up another instructor's class due to using water resistance "weights" too much. What hurt? The bicep. It took her a few weeks to get over it.

Oh boy. That doesn't bode well for getting that resilience to return, does it?

My theory is this: Our arms are meant to work and work hard. Otherwise, why would they be hanging from our shoulders like they do? In order to keep them in good shape so they can do their jobs, exercise needs to be consistent and if there's a push, it needs to be gradual, building up to a higher level of movement. So for me, I'll continue lifting light weights, using the "weights" in the pool lightly, and stretching every chance I get.

This is what I do - arm and shoulder stretches - but don't you do it unless it's safe for you.

That bye-bye thing, I think we just might be stuck with it. I think of it as another badge of honor, war wound of my weight loss. It's my fourth day on the combination paleo/Weight Watchers plan, and things are going fairly smoothly. I'm being creative with my cooking and going to my water exercise classes. I'll start up with progress pictures again on the next weigh-in. Argh.

Arm
Arm2

No comments:

Post a Comment