Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day off is over!

I tend to take Friday or Saturday off while still keeping the 'betes in mind when snacks are chosen. I'm finding that anything that is not a vegetable or a protein is a problem with the blood sugar. So, a day off might include some serious fruit or chocolate or whatever. And I pair it with some sort of protein for blood sugar protection. This week will be a hardcore paleo/primal/diabetes week. We're having "tacos" tonight. Richard will have taco shells and I will have some plantain cakes (eggs/plantains) that are toasted to eat along with the taco salad on the plate. It's an experiment and I think it's going to be a good one.

Breakfast was one of my throwback standards with the addition of a teaspoon or so of shredded asiago. My post breakfast blood sugar was in a pretty decent range, and that makes me happy. 

I spent some time today continuing my re-education in the world of diabetes type 2. The primal eating plan works almost perfectly. Australia has a hand up on the glycemic index information; they even label foods with a low GI symbol to assist making choices in the store. One thing I don't like about the American Diabetes Association is that they're fine with and almost encourage foods that are not necessarily good - diet sodas, fat free this and that; you get the idea. I will not sway over to that way of thinking again. I did mention to Richard that ISWF and W30 have changed my relationship with food. I have to put the diabetes first, but I do not have to swing a full 180 and go back to eating large quantities of carby things. Carbs are the key with diabetes. It's good for me to re-educate. I'm in this to continue winning. Drum roll please:
My primal take on nachos. Plantain 'bread' topped with Wellness Meats ground beef, lettuce, avocado, salsa, and some shredded cheddar. The next batch of plantain cracker/bread stuff, I'll cut a couple larger than the regular sized and have more of a tostada while Richard has his tacos. 

Overall, today's been good. I plan on having more of these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment