Thursday, April 10, 2014

Whole30, Day 3

The food was still steaming when I took the picture. Looks kind of weird, but it was amazeballs, as the youngsters say. (Get offa my lawn!) After the pancetta was done, I put last night's broccoli in the pan and warmed it up. That would have been good enough, but I went a step farther. I added 2 eggs that had been beaten in the Magic Bullet and let that set on one side. I was hoping it would turn in one piece, but it didn't. Didn't matter! I salted the broccoli and didn't season the eggs, and that was the right thing to do. It all blended well. So very good. I'm thinking, as I posted on Facebook, this is one of the best breakfasts I've ever made. Brava me!

I have had many Day 3s so far, but the one that counts is today's. The first day 3 is as important as this one, and it was fun to go back and read it. I was so scared that first time around. Here it is for comparison.

Those grape tomatoes made this lunch just the best. They burst with the heat and were wonderfully flavored. The green beans and mushrooms worked well with the filet. It's day 3 of not being hungry, so lunch is being had at 3 p.m. Argh. I've got a little scratchy throat and am hoping it's not related to the tomatoes. I had them earlier in the week without a problem. Pfft. Lunch was delicious and I'm not going to worry about it!

I whined about this on Facebook already. Rather than rewrite it, I'm copying an email I sent to my son:

I almost called  you while I was shopping to talk me down. It was a really hard shopping trip. I got paid today, so ordered some pork products from Wellness Meats (pork without sugar!) and went shopping for all that stuff I need to have around. Diet Dr Pepper was on sale 5 for $10. Argh. I didn't go to the dairy section except to get eggs, but the cottage cheese was calling me way too loudly. I didn't buy. Walking by doughnuts, cookies, oatmeal cakes, and seeing the ice cream case (my bugaboo, so I didn't walk by it; I saw it turning down another aisle). I also didn't go toward the bread. It was like sending an alcoholic to the liquor store, but I made it.

This is day 3 and I'm determined. I made a chicken breast and had it with a kiwi. It was amazingly delicious together. 

Okay, thanks for listening. No one else would get it.

Background - I used to drink Diet Dr. Pepper by the gallon and that particular price would have me buying 20 or more 6-packs to have on hand. My son is also doing a Whole30, so I knew he'd understand. I survived, but it was tough. Not quite touch-and-go, but close. And now for my beautiful chicken dinner.
I'm not sure what possessed me to buy a kiwi, but I'm very glad I did. The chicken was baking while I was shopping, so I knew I wouldn't go hungry and need junk food to compensate. Okay, it wasn't that desperate. 

Reflections: I'm very proud of making it to and through day 3. I'm bothered by my trouble at the grocery store. Maybe I'm making more of it than I should, but those were some strong feelings. The shit side of me is always saying "just this once is okay." Well, that's just plain wrong. Better days ahead. Just this once, I'd like to move past my addiction and go with the flow. And so, it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment