Sunday, April 27, 2014

Control - Elusive or fixable?

I just read an article in Paleo Magazine about stress and the effects it can have on your body, desires, and life if you do not utilize it correctly. Not enough stress and we lose our fight or flight abilities. Too much stress, and we start breaking down physically, mentally, emotionally. I know two things in my life that I've not been doing up to par lately - avoiding drugs (i.e., pain meds) and sleeping (i.e., going to bed too late). Those are easily remedied. I no longer take the pain meds, so my mind is clearer. I have hobbies, I exercise, I have friends, I'm in a good relationship, and I generally love my life. The missing key is the eating right. That seems to take a back seat when the rest of the equation is off kilter. I can do anything I damned well set my mind to, and over the past year, I've been up and down with decision making. Processing the why will set me free.

Breakfast is a great start. I made a pumpkin/banana/egg casserole this morning. I put half of it away for tomorrow morning. The white stuff is coconut cream and the delicious crispy stuff is bacon. I added extra pumpkin pie spice to the top of the batter before baking, and it made a world of difference. I do love me some spices. I also had some dried apples later. So far, so good. Keeping it real.
This lunch was amazing. I spiraled a sweet potato and then cut it up. I put it in a pan with a chicken breast tender and sauteed both in ghee. I added garlic and whirled tomatoes along with some Sunny Paris spice and let that simmer for 20ish minutes. The sweet potato had the texture of rice and absorbed a lot of the tomato. The chicken was absolutely tender. Very good indeed.

Dinner was kind of okay. Tuna salad on shredded lettuce. I had one of Richard's Triscuits. It was as good as I remember, but not enough for me to have more. I have an apple on the counter for snack if I want it and will have either cheese or Virginia ham with it to add a protein to balance the carbs. (Gotta start thinking about that in terms of the diabetes.)

I walked for exercise today, hung out clothes, and in general, stayed as active as I could. I feel like I ate appropriately and am further empowered. The addiction behavior with eating seems to have slipped away now that I'm not taking pain meds. Interesting how everything is interconnected. It amazes me constantly that one small slip can turn into a huge snowball of eating willy nilly. I guess that makes me semi-unique. I'm not the only one; I know that for sure. I will continue working on the 'why' of things and try to counteract those whys with 'is what you're doing right now helping you to achieve your long term goal?'

A good weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment