Thursday, February 13, 2014

Paleo is good stuff, man. (Recipe - fruit salad)


Last night's dinner - spaghetti squash base, left over cauliflower/celery root mash, chicken, pancetta, and cheddar, baked and then broiled. Damn. Good chit. Such very good chit. Such good chit that....

...I had it for breakfast this morning. Wowsers. The rest of my meals today won't compare in taste layers, but I'll try!

I walked in the formerly snowy and now muddy back yard for a half hour. That made me hungry, so I came in and made this:
A true Donna concoction - broccoli slaw sauteed in ghee, prosciutto, and then a couple of eggs when the veggies were done. Super tasty. I'll have to remember to use prosciutto more often. That means a stupid trip to Walmart to get more. Groan!

Fruit salad:

1 banana cut up
1/2 to 1 cup pineapple cut up
1/2 to 1 cup strawberries cut up
1 apple cut up
0.5 oz raisins (the mini box, about a tablespoon)
1 teaspoon coconut crystals (optional)
3 tablespoons coconut milk.
1-2 tablespoons of walnuts

Put all the fruit in the bowl. Sprinkle with the coconut crystals if you use them. Add the coconut milk and walnuts, and stir gently. Let the blend refrigerate for a while as the flavors blend. Now, here's the good thing - you can use whatever fruit you want; you can add celery, shredded carrots, chicken; or you can add or take away any of the ingredients. If you use honey, I'd warm it up first so it spreads evenly among the fruit. And here's how mine looked.
The picture isn't great, but you get the idea. I added the raisins at the last minute. That bowl is about half of the fruit salad. Along with the asparagus and mushrooms and hamburger patty, it was a very filling meal. 

I've enjoyed incorporating MyFitnessPal.com into my accountability. I do not eat the extra calories available as a result of exercise (30 minutes of walking today). And it doesn't freak me out to see the fat allotment at a higher number than they suggest. I adjusted the carbs to lower them a bit. At first, I was just curious what I was eating calorie wise and now I see I'm doing fine as far as calories go (from the old way of looking at things). I truly have combined the best of Whole30 and paleo to make my own eating plan and it's working well for me. P.S. I am not obsessing over calories. If I eat whole and nutritious foods in an amount that is satisfying, I don't need to count calories. This is an experiment that I may or may not continue. Plus, PactApp.com pays me to log my food!

No comments:

Post a Comment