Couple of items that are food for thought.
Reasons to stay fat (not just for me):
- You get to be invisible. People tend to look away when you're overweight. They either think you're gross, undisciplined, ugly, or pitiful.
- You don't have to deal with a ton of friends. The people in your life who are generally shallow have to truly get to know you to be able to see past your exterior. That sounds rough, but it's at least partially true.
- You are easily comforted. Are you sad? You eat. Are you happy? You eat. Are you bored? You eat. Are you excited? You eat. Having an occasion? You eat. You get the picture. The fact that 60 seconds pass to make a minute is reason enough to down another snack or a meal.
- You can hide in plain sight. Because you're invisible, your layers of fat allow you to hide and move through life without attracting Joe and Joan Q. Public's attention.
- You get to leave impressions. They may not be the impressions you want to leave, but you are lazy, ill equipped to deal with life's offerings, and obviously you do not care.
- You don't have to worry about clothes. Clothing in 4X is pretty plain, so everything you have matches your pull on jeans. You don't even have to go out to shop! Everything you need can be found on line. Who cares if your choices are limited? You're dressed.
- You never miss an episode of your favorite television show. You probably don't even feel like going out all that much. It's harder to move around, so why bother?
- Your week is not interrupted by exercise or gym time. Thank goodness. There's more time to think about, prepare, buy, or chow down more food that will hang with you for as long as you want it.
- Your fat is your best friend. It never lets you down. It is always willing to welcome all comers. Eat all you want. Your layer of insulation will thank you.
- You get to see your doctor a lot. It might not be today, but the roller coaster upon which your blood sugar and hormones ride will eventually get you into your doctor's office. You might even become a frequent visitor.
- You may also become a friend of your pharmacy. Because your cholesterol and other blood levels are probably out of whack, your insurance policy is going to get a workout with prescription drugs that you will get to take.
- You will get a lot of sleep. Sluggish day means naps and lots of sleep. If you eat late at night when other people can't see you, you'll get to sleep in. Eating is always something you can fit in.
- Your grocery bill won't be as high. Crap food is less expensive than real food. That's why you buy it, right?
- Your sugar demons are satisfied. It feels great to know that you're not wanting something that you really don't want to avoid.
- And a million other reasons.
Reasons to eat right:
- Blood sugar levels go down and come close to normalizing.
- Other laboratory indicators improve.
- You may not need to deal with medical issues, including gastric upset, sore joints, and a whole host of other problems.
- You can sleep on your stomach without feeling like you ate a moose.
- You can move with fluidity.
- Clothing fits.
- You get to explore the out of doors and hang with other people much more interactively.
- It doesn't wear you out to hang with kids or your dog.
- You get your damned life back. I can't emphasize this one enough. Think about the implications of that short statement - you....get....your.....life.....back.
I'm going to stop there. The last bullet is enough for me. The other benefits of eating right are amazing all by themselves, but the bottom line is real eating = real life.
Everyone's travels in life are different. My journey with Whole30 is best described in my Day 29 wrap-up. It will be interesting for me to get to day 29 again in August. My lists above are incomplete and each person can add their own items. As Dr. Carr once told me, "Life is too short to walk from bench to bench." I'll never forget that.