Saturday, November 16, 2013

Donna's version of paleo/primal

With Whole30, I, as is intended, am much stricter than the below and the foods marked as occasional are not used. My singular shade of paleo in the world of 50 Shades of Paleo, is fairly strict. I try new foods often and have learned that I like celery root, plantains, and other foods I never thought I'd eat. I've learned I'm allergic to fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes, so I limit myself to grape tomatoes or plum tomatoes. The histamine level is much stronger in the big, super fresh ones. Sigh. I eat when I'm hungry. If I really want seconds, I have them. I eat vegetables at every meal, using the plate template shown in It Starts With Food. I have a couple of cookbooks (Well Fed and Well Fed2), but I experiment a lot on my own and collect recipes on Pinterest. I try to blog with honest photos daily to keep myself in check. I also go back and review some of my photos and remind myself of things I've enjoyed making in the past. I also participate in a paleo group on Facebook. This is not a diet. This is how I live at least 80% of the time.

What I do eat:

High quality meats - beef, chicken, turkey, pork
Seafood - filets, shrimp, crab
Vegetables of all colors
Starchy vegetables/root vegetables - turnips, rutabaga, sweet potato
Fruits, fruit products, fruit juice (for cooking or seasoning)
Plantain (with which I make a 'bread' substitute of plantain and eggs)
Eggs, organic, free range
Fats - high quality good fats, ghee, occasional Kerrygold butter, olive oil, coconut oil, bacon grease, duck fat
Organic mayonnaise, 365 brand from Whole Foods
Sauces, tomato, spaghetti (only certain brands), tamponades, and other condiments with no sugar or unpronounceable ingredients
Sweet potato chips (unadulterated) crushed up for fish coating (occasional)
Spices, seasonings, salt, pepper (read labels of those seasonings!)
Local raw honey (occasional)
Mustard, horseradish, organic kethup
Coconut milk
Coconut aminos
Coconut crystals (occasional)
Nuts - pecans, pistachios, walnuts, almonds (occasional)
Coconut, almond, arrowroot, sweet potato flour (occasional)
Good chocolate (occasional)

What I drink:

Coffee (black)
Tea, hot or cold
Water
Perrier type waters
Diet Dr Pepper once a week (the only artificial sweetener allowed)

What I don't eat:

Sugar*
Legumes
Dairy*
Grains
Gluten
White potatoes***

*Exceptions for me include organic ketchup and sharp shredded cheese in very small quantities on an occasional basis. The cheese I buy is goat Gouda. These exceptions fly in the face of strict paleo, but thus far, I have not found a ketchup that doesn't contain either organic cane sugar, honey, or stevia. I have not tried the honey or stevia brands yet.

A final exception is pork products. Though I buy sugar free pancetta to substitute for bacon, I do eat regular bacon and ham products on an occasional basis as well, and they are almost always processed with a small amount of sugar. Bacon and sausage that I purchase at the farmer's market, though, are unadulterated. Whenever possible, I stick to brands like Applegate and others that do minimal processing. I had been including Greek yogurt, but stopped that.

Update 04/17/14: I have ordered W30 compliant bacon, sausage, salami, and Canadian bacon from Wellness Meats and hope like heck that they're delicious. I'd really like to avoid sugar whenever possible and the WM products I purchased have no sugar in them.

***I have recently added new or fingerling potatoes about once a month. I do not eat large, mature potatoes.

How I exercise:

Water aerobics, about 50 minutes, 3-4 times a week (if I swim, I probably don't walk, and vice versa)**
Walking, 2-3 miles, 3-4 times a week (if I walk, I probably don't swim, and vice versa)**
Light weight lifting, flex band, medicine ball type exercises, 1-3 times a week
Stretching, daily
**I do one or the other of these or a combination of the two 3-4 times a week.

Update 04/17/14: I walk 3 times a week now, at least a mile. I still do stretching and light weight lifting. Swimming has become a little more occasional since I've gotten the go-ahead from the doctor to walk all I want. 

Some wrapup:

I don't mind having pictures taken anymore. I find joy in movement. I sleep well. I nap even better. My mood is almost always good and level. I accomplish most of what I want to accomplish, certainly more than I used to. If I can do this, anyone can. Having said that, it's not for everyone. Not everyone is willing to eat vegetables with every meal, give up pasta, or eat as much meat as I do. But that's about it, my one shade of paleo. What's yours?

References

Whole30 - http://www.whole9life.com/
Robb Wolf - http://robbwolf.com/
Mark Sisson - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Other references, tools, and information on the right side tool bar on the blog homepage.

Updated 04/17/14

No comments:

Post a Comment