Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Calm after the storm

Last night was an exercise in 'what not to eat.' The graduation from the James City County Police Department's Citizens Forensics Academy and accompanying dinner took place. This is what the buffet held: fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, butter, yeast rolls, cobbler, and chocolate covered peanut butter balls. Oh, and soda. I did not sleep well as I had that icky stomach/lump in the throat thing, and now I need to clean all that stuff out of me.

And it starts with breakfast. Zucchini sauteed with the cooking bacon (half of which Abbey got to eat), avocado, and eggs mixed with the zucchini. My body will be feeling better in short order. Between eating right and drinking a lot of water today, the grain/gluten fest should be out of me in no time. Loved the academy, loved the graduation, but my body would have preferred that I eat only the green beans!


I took a very short nap, like a half hour, and when I woke up, I wanted junk food. I always do. We have orange slice candy and peppermint patties available in the house. I was ready to open the bag and stopped. I had another glass of water and decided to wait it out and make lunch later.

Plantain cakes, apple with cinnamon and a bit of local raw honey, and egg salad. Now, that's more like it. I am glad I was able to wait it out. 


And a good day was had. I did have some orange slice candy, but it didn't send me out of orbit. I also finished off the evening with a peach/coconut milk fluff/drink that I whipped up in the Magic Bullet. Earlier, though, had this wonderful dinner:

Ham and a mash of cauliflower and broccoli, which included ghee and coconut milk. I have half of the mash for tomorrow and chicken tenders defrosting.


Reflections: I wanted today to go well as far as food choices went. I honestly prefer my life when I eat appropriately. Everything works better and I feel better. I always feel good, but I do love feeling better.

I had purchased a jar of Trader Joe's ghee.
 
I will not buy it again. The texture was all wrong; it stayed liquidish and just wasn't as good as the ghee I usually buy. I was glad to try it because Trader Joe's is local, but that's okay, I can hit Whole Foods or buy my brand online. I much prefer the Purity Farms brand. I use it for saute and seasoning, and even use it in combination with bacon grease to fry up a piece of fish. Good stuff. 

My goal is to have a good day again tomorrow. They're worth their weight in gold, those good days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment