Sunday, October 27, 2013

Whole30 II Day 1.1 - Recipe - Bacon wrapped sweet potato bites

Had a luncheon yesterday that I personally failed miserably. Then I made it worse by having a doughnut afterward. So, in the spirit of keeping it real, we're doing day 1 over again. This Whole30 ends the day before Thanksgiving.

That's a pissed off turkey over there - he was hoping I'd end after Thanksgiving and give him a reprieve. No way, delicious poultry. No way.

I tried to re-create the wonderful breakfast of yesterday, but it didn't quite work. I added kale to the mix of banana and 2 eggs. Once in the pan, I sprinkled chopped pecans. It was okay, but not great. Yesterday's was much, much better.  

I have these in the oven as we speak. I'm hoping for the best.

Bacon wrapped sweet potato

Bacon cut in half and then sliced in half the long way so that you have a thin, 1/4 piece of bacon. 
Sweet potato cut into cubes, 1" or a bit bigger. I used 2 small Japanese sweet potatoes.

Wrap the bacon pieces around the sweet potato, using a toothpick (wooden!) to hold them together. Place on a baking sheet (I used one that would drain and get the heat under as well as over the bites). Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

They're tasty. The Japanese sweet potato might not be the best choice as it got really soft. I'll try a regular SP next time. I'm done with the Japanese ones. They're not nearly as good as I thought they would be. 

Now this was a meal. Pork roast from Fresh Market, rutabaga, and organic applesauce. The pork had a nice layer of fat, and I seasoned it with garlic powder, caraway seeds, and pepper, along with a lot of onions in the pan. The rutabaga soaked up the pork flavor with the broth (water added to the pan). I cooked this for a couple hours and dinner was great. Oh yeah.


Reflections: Day 1.1 done. Good food, minor exercise, planking day 2, and all is well. I'm very comfortable with calling this day 1 again. I just didn't feel right about throwing such a wrench into the works, though I could cheat and just call it day 4 and move on. This planking challenge I'm doing with Lee from the paleo group is going to get the better of me for sure. It's only 30 days, though, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment