Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What motivates me?

In the Paleo Plan newsletter today, the question was posed:

"But what motivates YOU to eat well most days – if not every day – of your life?"

I will try to answer that for myself. I have gone over the reasons before, but it's a good time for me to update them, if only for myself.

  • The surgeries I had to replace my knees require me to do rehab/exercise regularly. In order to do that, I have to maintain a certain weight and/or continue to lose weight. 
  • My diabetes is consistently adversely affected when I eat grains, legumes, and sugar. When I stick to my paleo plan, my blood sugar levels are lower and my hemoglobin A1c is also lower. 
  • I am losing weight. That, in my opinion, is a combination of many things, one of which is the way I eat. 
  • I feel better in general. That means a lot to me as I hurdle toward age 60. 
  • Which brings me to, I'm almost 60. Aging is not for wimps. The best way for me to continue my life's journey is by taking good care of myself, not just those things that need attention one at a time. It's an overall process that includes sleeping, eating, exercising, and other aspects of the paleo lifestyle such as play for play's sake and getting outside. 

What motivates me is my own success and that of others. Motivation is multifactorial. And, I truly believe it's important to look at what motivates me from time to time.

Thanks, Paleo Plan, for reminding me!

No comments:

Post a Comment