Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Whackadoodle Wednesday, Plantain Pancake Recipe too!

FBS 189

First, the recipe.

Plantain pancakes

Medium plantain, peeled and cut into small pieces
1/2 Tsp ground vanilla (or a small amount of extract)
2 eggs
1 tbsp sweet potato flour (or another acceptable flour, or leave it out completely)

Process in blender or Magic Bullet. Melt about 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Pour in batter and cook on one side, flip, then cook till done. This should make 6 small pancakes. Here's how mine turned out:

This is about the right size for not only a pancake, but a hamburger bun. Leave out the vanilla for a "bread" type of treat.

I guessed on when to turn them. I probably could have done it a smidgen sooner, but it didn't matter when it came to the final product.

Organic maple syrup added a nice sweetness. The pancetta was just plain good. 

I believe that plantains are my new thing. Crackers, bread, pancakes, and just plain pan fried plantains, all delicious and all pretty derned good for you. They do contain a lot of starch, so keep that in mind. 




  1. Plantain
    Cooking



  2. A cooking plantain or plantain is a fruit of one of the cultivated varieties of the genus Musa intended to be consumed only after cooking or other processing, rather than being eaten raw.Wikipedia






  3. Nutrition Facts

    Plantains

    Amount Per 1 medium (179 g)
    Calories 218



  4. % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.7 g1%
    Saturated fat 0.3 g1%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg0%
    Sodium 7 mg0%
    Potassium 893 mg25%
    Total Carbohydrate 57 g19%
    Dietary fiber 4.1 g16%
    Sugar 27 g
    Protein 2.3 g4%
    Vitamin A40%Vitamin C54%
    Calcium0%Iron6%
    Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-625%
    Vitamin B-120%Magnesium16%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  5. Sources include: USDA

There ya go. Everything you ever wanted to know about plantains. I'll be adding them to my diet more often. I can see having garlic plantain "bread" and all sorts of side dishes. I wonder if you could make a dumpling like thing by dropping blobs of dough in chicken stock and cooking them up. Oh lordie. I can see I'm going to go nuts.

I had some hard boiled eggs that wouldn't cooperate when peeling, so I ended up using all four, at least what was left of them, but I gave Abbey two of the yolks. Egg salad and plantain crackers that are were like seriously chewy, having lost their crunch some time ago. 

Farm fresh sausage (love talking to the guy at the farmers market when I buy from him), eggs with a bit of cheese, asparagus, and applesauce to go with the sausage. Who needs toast? I'd give it a 5, but the cook (ahem, me) must have left a touch of shell in because one bite of my eggs was crunchy. Ooops.


Reflections: 5 pieces of orange candy. It's now gone! A very good day beyond that. I was an energy ball all morning and then crashed after lunch. I took a short nap and that was that. It has rained all day. It's one of those constant dreary rains. It's the kind of rain that lulls you to sleep. Tomorrow evening is card playing night and I will make something to take with me in order to not break the streak of good eating. I successfully went to the store and bought the two items I went to by rather than a little of this and a little of that. Yay me! That's success. I also drove past several convenience stores and drive-thru restaurants when I ran an errand on the other side of town. Nope. Didn't stop. I'm going to work this way for a while, seeing huge steps in small strides until this becomes habit and the way things are. I spent a good part of today in the other room on the other computer, away from this room that is connected to the kitchen. I truly want to take the focus off everything food, and yet, I want to remain cognizant of the importance of food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment