Sunday, August 25, 2013

Another sweet potato win!

FBS 169

I bought a few fresh sweet potatoes at the farmers market yesterday. I shredded one and a half patty pan squash, and put that in a pan with chopped bacon and some onions. I sauteed until the bacon was done. I have been using slow cooking rather than fast of late, and it seems to make a big difference in how the meat and veggies cook together.
I, of course, added a couple eggs when the hash was just about done and scrambled them up. S&P finished it off. It was the most amazing breakfast ever. I would guess the amount of bacon was about a slice and a half. It wasn't much, but it was perfect. I will definitely try the fresh sweet potatoes in a savory manner like this again. I wonder if the freshness of it made the sweet potato acceptable? It didn't overpower at all, which has been my experience in the past. Good job, Donna! 

Lunch was okay. The grapes were great. The turkey and goat cheese were meh. 
I'm glad the turkey slices are just about gone. I put some goat cheese from the farmers market on a cucumber I cut in three slices, then added the turkey roll. I didn't add salt because the cheese adds a salty flavor. The grapes were delicious. It was a nice, fresh cold plate, but not what the doctor ordered. Looking forward to a better dinner. 

Chicken sausage (Italian) with tomatoes from the garden and a patty pan squash. I used a little bacon grease since there was no real fat to speak of in the sausage. It was pretty good. I'm not a fan of Italian flavored items, but this was okay. I have three more, so I better like them! 


Reflections: Ronnie tells me he's a week away from finishing his Whole30. I'm so proud of him! I'm going hardcore myself for a while. Who knows what gets one off track; the goal is to get back on track without the pain. So, that's what I've done today. Plus! I was checking out the raised bed garden and noticed I have a cantaloupe growing! I thought that Abbey had totally destroyed that leg of the garden, so it made me smile really big to see it. Not sure how it will taste because it's a little late to the game, but you can bet one thing, I'll definitely try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment