Friday, July 19, 2013

Whole9 taking over - tight paleo is where it's at (unless a W30 is needed)

FBS 174 - Indiscretions last night. They definitely show up, don't they?

Thus begins my paleo adventure. I will stick close to W30 because that is what I know and that is what works for me. I'll share my meals and hope they give you some ideas too. I will have cheese once in a while and possibly yogurt. It's okay! Dairy is not a problem for me. I am looking forward to the rest of my life. When necessary, I'll do W30 for a week or a month or whatever it takes to get back on track when and if I go off track. I'm still feeling the high of the excellent medical results and want to continue this for as long as I have the ability to plan and cook. I have found what works. Why mess that up?
W30 compliant pancetta with sauteed zucchini and eggs that have been whirled with tomato. A touch of asiago to cap it off (not W30 compliant). 
I am pasting what I posted in the Post Whole30 Paleo group on Facebook. 

A very, very sad day in my life. I have to say goodbye to farm fresh tomatoes. I ate one several days ago and had a weird throat reaction. No biggie. This morning, I chopped one up with my eggs, and within minutes, the odd throat reaction again. Swollen, itchy, and just not right. I went to my exercise class and as we were doing crunch type stuff, I started feeling like I might introduce the class to my breakfast, so I stopped doing the crunch things. After a short while, I still felt like showing my breakfast, so I cut class short, took a shower, and called the doctor from the parking lot. I'm officially allergic. Benadryl, Pepcid, and don't eat them again. I've never had a problem with Campari tomatoes from the store, so they said to wait a couple weeks and try a small bit of one to see how I react. I feel like I have lost a very good friend. Since my 40th birthday (only a year ago, heh heh), I've become allergic to penicillin, certain NSAIDS (everything except ibuprofen), and almost all makeup (except the mineral ones). Long post, but RIP tomato addiction. RIP indeed.

What's a girl to do??? I took the Pepcid the doctor recommended. I didn't take the Benadryl since it's been so many hours. I stopped by the store and picked up some Greek yogurt and had a small serving to tide me over. I don't feel like eating, even after half an exercise class. Bummer. Oh well. Live and learn! Lunch was eaten in pieces - a yogurt, banana, and turkey. It was good, but I really wasn't in the mood for eating.

I feel much better this evening, so did make some fun food for dinner. My neighbor brought blackberries to barter for some sewing, so I tossed them in some chilled coconut milk and fluffed it all up. I have it in the refrigerator for later.
I don't remember where I bought these (their site can locate them for you), but I've been using this bag for a  while. I crush up the chips (Whole30 compliant) and use it as a coating for fish, then lightly fry the fish in ghee and olive oil.  
Tonight, I wanted comfort food, so I made a pot of cauliflower and broccoli. I'll eat on that for a few days. The fish was delicious. It was probably tilapia, but I'm not sure. I froze it without labeling it like a big dummy. I felt good about dinner. 

Reflections: The new-found allergy to tomatoes kind of pisses me off, but there's not a lot I can do about it other than hope that it's specific to these tomatoes. They were picked the day I bought them, so they are as fresh as fresh can be. That means they are high in histamines. I sure thought that cooking them this morning would make a difference, but it did not. I'm growing tomatoes too! I'm growing Roma tomatoes and perhaps they won't be a problem. Keep your green thumbs crossed. 

I felt pretty punky all afternoon. Part of it was just the realization that one of my go-to foods may have become a nonfriend. I did take the Pepcid the doctor said to take, but not the Benadryl as it had been a few hours since the initial reaction by the time I bought it. My throat is feeling better, but not 100% back to normal. A big 'oh well'. 

The good news is that I think of broccoli and cauliflower as comfort food! I've made so many changes that one little setback does not a failure make. I have unlimited options for vegetables and I can use tomato products, if not the fresh guy. Thank goodness I like to cook!



No comments:

Post a Comment