Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Success with eating out!

FBS 170 (yogurt for snack last night?), weight down 2

Last night, I went out with a group for dinner. I've been out to eat a few times since switching to W30/paleo eating, but the week I was in Texas recently was a bust. Not so much yesterday. I ordered broiled fish and shrimp along with a salad and green beans. The waitress was ready to hand me the plate with a baked potato front and center, and I asked her to take the potato back. I felt it wasn't in my best interest to have it in front of me. She was great about it. The seafood platter came with oysters and scallops, but I asked not to get those. I think they gave me extra shrimp. Regardless, it was delicious, on target, and well worth the money. Plus, a good time was had! That's what it was all about. Dinner was secondary. I did have a Greek yogurt and pistachios for snack later, and I wonder if that's why my blood sugar is still a touch in the upper range. Here's a picture of me and a classmate at our high school gathering (a blend of all graduating classes, about 40 people). We filled about half the restaurant. I also sat with a few of my sister's classmates. I saw some people I haven't seen since the '70s. True! Another classmate saw this on Facebook and asked who those old gray haired hippies were. Sheesh. I keep saying that my lighter hair is blonde, not gray. When is that going to get through everyone's thick head? :)
Back to today:
Breakfasts at home....almost better than restaurant food. I sauteed a half yellow squash with some cubed pancetta. It was good, but I'll stick with the flat pancetta. I've seen pictures of fried eggs all over the Whole30/paleo pages on Facebook, so I gave it a shot. They were great. There's a little ketchup under the eggs. The best part was when the eggs were almost gone and I got to mix everything up - crunchy pancetta, crunchy squash, and runny eggs. Yum. I'm so used to mixing everything together in the Magic Bullet. It was nice to have separate tastes this morning.  The pancetta keeps this meal from getting a rating of 5. 

One of my favorite lunches. A small filet of beef, hairy corvairs (however you spell it), mushrooms, and ghee. Who could ask for more?? Today is an exercise day, so I'm famished. I'll probably have a yogurt later. I'd give this a 5, but I overcooked the steak ever so slightly.

Dinner was a plus and a minus. I made meatballs with grassfed beef, green peppers, coconut flour, onion and garlic powder, and paprika. They were the plus. I was going to shred some zucchini and saute it for my sauce (W30 compliant), but the zukes had bought the farm, so to speak. Ick. So, I grabbed my leftover cauliflower and broccoli, mashed that with an egg and onions, and proceeded to fry up some veggie cakes in ghee. Well, they didn't set up. So, I cooked it anyway and put the meatballs and sauce on top. Ick x2. I ate most of it, but it was definitely not my cup of tea. So, we'll call that part of my dinner a fail, netting a low number of caveman thumbs up.

Reflections: People in my pool exercise class still tell me how different I look and how easier I seem to move. One of them asked for my doctor's name and took the time to bring a ziplock bag with pen and paper inside so it wouldn't get wet after she wrote it down. I felt good today, having gone out last night and been among people that I haven't seen in years and some I just met last night. I haven't done that kind of thing in a while. I didn't even mind having my picture taken.

I also learned that a long-time online friend has been paleo for years. I might have known that, but I guess I didn't pay attention. 

Whole30 has totally changed everything. I've latched onto it and have probably become a little obsessive, but once again, it's just right for me. I read a book 25-30 years ago called Habits of Health. I'm finally living that life, even if it's not the same tenants. 

230 is soon to be in my rear view mirror. -85 is soon to be a reality. All of these things make <200 a true reality.




No comments:

Post a Comment