Friday, June 14, 2013

Learning to like kale - Real day 6 of Whole7

FBS 151, not bad. 2 hours after dinner was 157, so at least it's going down overnight now!
I want to like kale. I really do. I bought a half bunch last night at Whole Foods. I thought that this morning was as good as anytime to try it. I had a smidgen in chicken soup a while ago. So, mushrooms, kale, and some tomatoes sauteed.
Eggs added and scrambled, and it was very good. It's a lighter taste than spinach. I'll try it again with lunch. I might just like this stuff!

Chicken, zucchini, onions, clarified butter for the saute, coconut aminos and poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, with a side of pineapple. It was like Chinese takeout for lunch, but better. 

Dinner was a bit of a win/fail experiment. I had a pork loin in the freezer. It was half of one that we didn't care for when we ate the first half. So, I tried to figure out a way to gussy it up without adding BBQ or other sauce that doesn't fit with W30. I seasoned it up and then covered it with bacon! I cut up a can of potatoes for Richard and put butternut squash pieces in the pan for me. And I baked it. Well, the potatoes looked great. The squash was burned. When I sliced the pork, it looked like it was fused; it was half light and half dark meat. I cut it where the fuse line was and a half loin fed two of us. It should feed three or four! The part we ate was good, though. Since my side was burned, I got a can of carrots out and warmed them up quickly; they got a blob of ghee on top of them! I also had a side of natural applesauce. Bottom line is that we had some good pork, Richard got some rockin' potatoes and I got rockin' carrots, and the applesauce, as always, was the perfect dip for the pork. 

For snack tonight, I tried the coconut paleo bread toasted with organic raspberry spread. I liken the taste of the 'bread' to a Melba toast, sort of. It's not sandwich material, but that's not why I bought it. I purchased it because of the ingredients - Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Coconut Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda. - and so I could maybe have French toast once in a while. I'll have to see how it works on my blood sugar and weight loss, and then determine if it's worth the price. 

Reflections: It's been a good day overall. Food was fine. I got some big time exercise by simply cleaning the upstairs bathroom and getting rid of all the stuff on the deck out back that didn't belong, and in general, just being a dog mom. Tomorrow is the 7th day of Whole30. I'll start reintroduction again on Sunday, starting with lima beans. I gave away 5 bags of food from the pantry, but I kept those and a can of kidney beans. I love the beans in chili and hope they don't affect me poorly. Even if they're perfect, I'll still only have them once in a while. Another good day tomorrow is in the works! 

No comments:

Post a Comment